At BERNAGH, across the road from Little Lea, Lewis wrote his first book as a Christian, the great PILGRIM'S REGRESS.
BERNAGH (today RED HALL) was the home of ARTHUR GREEVES (1895-1966), who had tried several times to get to know the Lewis brothers. At Easter 1914, C S Lewis finally visited Arthur, convalescing at BERNAGH. They struck up an immediate, profound and lifelong friendship.
Lewis wrote hundreds of letters to Arthur, published as THEY STAND TOGETHER: The Letters of C S Lewis to Arthur Greeves (1979).
On his annual summer holidays in Ireland, Lewis would always spend time with Arthur. THE PILGRIM'S REGRESS (dedicated to Arthur Greeves) 'spurted out' of Lewis in 1932, during a fortnight's stay at BERNAGH.
C S Lewis spent a great deal of his childhood at GLENMACHAN, his cousins' grand house nearby (now demolished). The rare photograph shows C S Lewis (back right) and Arthur Greeves (back left), together at GLENMACHAN.
Tennis at Glenmachan in 1911
[Photo courtesy of C S Lewis Centenary Group]
|Return to Brochure Main Page||Return to Home Page|